Success push with channel ID and named users, but app only receiving channel ID push.

Hi all,

We are sending basic push notifications via channel ID and named users to our iOS app.

The app is currently receiving test notifications from the dashboard and also a push notification to the channel ID.

When we set the audience as named users, it also sends successfully with this response:

{"ok":true,"operation_id":"4a96f199-6ccc-4ef8-b327-07d0eba90a2b","push_ids":["f77b03a3-d61d-435f-928f-a0400e0f71b5"],"message_ids":[],"content_urls":[]}

However, the app never receives the push notification. The same channel ID is registered under the named user ID we're pushing to.

We've confirmed that from the dashboard.

 

What are we doing wrong? I have even paid for the $49 plan in case it was a restriction to the free account.

Please help. Thank you

Didn't find what you were looking for?

New post

Comments

11 comments

  • Hi Tom,

    Would you be able to let us know what payload you're sending when attempting to send to a Named User?

    Additionally, how are you currently setting Named Users to your device?

    0
  • {
    "audience": {
    "named_user" : "id-148"
    },
    "notification": {
    "alert": "This is named user message"
    },
    "device_types": ["ios"]
    }

    We're setting named users from our Java server with your recommended API. When I search for "id-148" in my dashboard, it shows that the channel ID i pushed successfully to, is correctly registered. It also shows the green circle indicating it is working correctly in the background.

    Btw is there a bug with the dashboard? By clicking "Create" for creating new pushes, it only shows a small grey rectangle with no actual links to press

    0
  • NamedUserRequest request = NamedUserRequest.newAssociationRequest()
    .setChannel(deviceId, channelType)
    .setNamedUserId(NAMED_USER_PREFIX + userId);

     

    This is what we're using on our Java server

    0
  • Tom,

    You won't be able to push from the dashboard, since your Urban Airship account is under the API-only plan.

    With regards to the Named User push, try disassociating the device from that Named User and re-associating it. Then, send a push to that Named User.

    It seems there was an issue yesterday that caused registration delays to occur, which may have caused your issue.

    0
  • Hi Michael,

    So the named user API is only offered in the paid plan correct?

    0
  • Tom,

    No, the Named User API is offered on all plans. 

    The API plan does not allow you to be able to create and send pushes from the dashboard.

    0
  • I can't seem to find a way to downgrade from the API price plan to the free one. Would I be able to get a refund? I only bought the API plan just to see if we can enable the named users.

    0
  • Hi Michael,

    The problem still persists despite unregistering and registering the device.

    Any other possible solutions?

    0
  • Tom,

    I'm seeing a successful send for the most latest push you sent out. You have 4 devices, one of which is uninstalled, associated to that Named User. Did that push happen to arrive on any of those 3 device? It looks like it sent to at least one of them.

    0
  • I am also having issues sending a notification to a named user id.  Below is my body and response:

    body

    '''

    {
    "audience":
    {
    "named_user":"5038661113"
    },
    "notification": { "alert" : "A broadcast message" },
    "device_types": "all"
    }

    '''

    response:

    '''

    {
    "ok": false,
    "error": "Could not parse request body.",
    "error_code": 40540,
    "details": {
    "error": "The feature 'named_user' is not supported on the 'mpns' platform"
    }
    }

    '''

    0
  • Hi Bryan,

    Specifying "all" in the device_types field will try to send to each platform that is supported by Urban Airship. This means that you'll be sending to iOS, Android, and Windows devices.

    Since Windows does not support Named Users, it will throw that error.

    The fix, is to specify which platforms to target.

    In this case, you can change device_types to be:

    "device_types": ["ios","android"]

    That should resolve that error for you!

    0

Please sign in to leave a comment.