We have successfully implemented handling for push notifications using the APIs offered by UA Android SDK. Key components of the implementation include the NotificationProvider & NotificationListener which simplify the process greatly.
One of the actions (implemented using ActionsNotificationExtender) needs to perform a network call & post a notification - this notification is not based on push and falls outside the usual push notification flow. Is there a way to make this notification go through the SDK flow - have the NotificationProvider create the notification content & get NotificationListener to receive callbacks?
We are not quite sure we fully understand the use case here. Are you attempting to create a Local Notification or something different?
That's correct, we're looking to create a local notification. Here's a bit more context:
- we receive a push notification that goes through NotificationProvider and posts a notification with an action that can 'mute' alerts for a given event
- when this action is invoked, we need to display a local notification that can 'unmute' notifications for the associated event
The way we have this setup at the moment is:
- action to 'mute' event alerts is sent to a BroadcastReceiver that does a server call to mute alerts, and creates a notification with 'unmute' action
- the action to 'unmute' alerts also triggers this BroadcastReceiver, makes a server call, and cancels the 'unmute' notification.
Our concern is that these two flows have to be implemented separately, even though there's overlapping functionality. Is there currently a way for local notifications to go through the same flow as push notifications?
- to have them built through NotificationProvider
- to have their actions invoke NotificationListener#onNotificationForegroundAction()/onNotificationBackgroundAction()